Monday, March 6, 2017

Week 6 Story: Guns for Hands


Three minutes.

I left the grocery store for three minutes—just long enough to cross the parking lot and grab my wallet from the car—and when I stepped back inside, it had happened again.

All the fluorescents overhead had been taken out, which was my first sign. In the weak light from the streetlamps outside, everything looked pale, ghostly. The bulbs’ shattered glass crusted the linoleum floor like crushed ice, and when I glanced up at the hollow light bays, they stared down at me like empty eye sockets.

That much alone told me I wouldn’t want to see anything else. Already, a dull throb was starting up behind my temples.

But my sister was here somewhere, and I couldn’t leave her.

“Sloane?” I called. “Sloane, it’s me. It’s Reagan. Where are you?”

Nothing.

I pulled my cell phone from my jacket pocket, switched on its flashlight.

Fifteen feet away, on the other side of the fleet of shopping carts, I found the first three bodies.

They were slumped on the floor, halfway behind their checkout counters. Both women looked like they’d landed okay, but the guy had had a rough fall; his neck was bent at a funny angle. He looked maybe nineteen, barely older than Sloane and me.

All three of them were bleeding from their eyes, their ears. Even when they’d stopped breathing, the blood kept trickling. I stood there for a minute, staring down at them in the darkness. Finally, when one of those blood trails rolled out to touch the toe of my boot, I stepped carefully back and maneuvered around them.

“Sloane!” I snapped. “We seriously need to leave—”

And then I found her.

She sat huddled in the middle of the Halloween aisle, surrounded by monsters and witches and foam tombstones. Her long blonde hair hung in a sheet over her face, and I knew she knew I was there, but she didn’t look up. Behind her, a cheap Grim Reaper cloak swung on its hanger.

“Are you okay?” I asked after a minute.

She hesitated, then shook her head. I hesitated, too. Dad would’ve known what to do.

I sighed, then crossed the aisle and took her hand, tugged her to her feet. Maybe she should’ve had to look at the people she’d killed, but I didn’t want to see them again, so we skirted around them.

Dad would’ve known what to do, but he wasn’t here anymore. And the truth was, I knew what to do, too.

I just wished I didn’t.

***

I’d been destined to kill my twin sister since we were thirteen years old.

Really, since we were born, I guess. But I’d been thirteen when Dad sat me down and explained what was wrong with Sloane, why we moved around all the time. He’d quit trying to hide the bodies from me after that.

The thing was, it never should’ve been like this. Tons of people on Mom’s side of the family had abilities. I couldn’t remember her very well, but Mom herself had been scary powerful, and that had eventually gotten her killed. Even she’d been nothing compared to Sloane, though.

Because Sloane had gotten a double dose. Half of her power should’ve gone to me, but she’d gotten both shares, and it was too much for her. Too much for the people around her. Since Dad’s death, she’d only gotten worse, and it was supposed to have been my job to keep that from happening. To stop her from hurting anyone else.

Usually, I couldn’t even think about that. But it was easier now, with those dead grocery store clerks burned into my head, the smell of their blood still in the back of my throat. I couldn’t let that happen again.

Sloane was miserable, and I was miserable, and all we did was break everything we touched. For a long time now, I’d thought we were cursed.

Maybe we were the curse.

Later that night, I waited till Sloane had gone to sleep, and then I dug out Dad’s old pistol. When I stood, that headache had started up again behind my temples, but my hands didn’t shake. I wasn’t sure if that was actually a good thing.

But some small part of me, somewhere in the back of my head, had been planning this since I was thirteen.

***

Sloane couldn’t sleep without a TV on, so muted reruns of old cartoons greeted me when I squeezed into her tiny room.

For a minute, I just stood there by her bed, waiting for some kind of sign. Her back was to me, but something in the slump of her shoulders—the tilt of her head—made her look peaceful. Younger, too.

I lifted the pistol and took a deep breath, but I still didn’t pull the trigger. And then Sloane said quietly, “I wish you would, Reagan.”

“I know,” I said after a minute, lowering the gun.

“I wish you could.”

“Me too.”

She rolled over, staring up at the ceiling instead of at me. I wondered if she’d been awake all along. When we’d moved in, she’d stuck those glow-in-the-dark stars all over the ceiling, even though I’d made fun of her. Now we’d be taking them down and leaving tomorrow. If her outburst at the store had taken out the lights, it would’ve wrecked the cameras, too, but that didn’t matter.

It was time to move on.

“I thought I had it under control this time,” she said eventually. “I wasn’t going to let it happen again. I won’t let it happen again.”

“I know.”

Idly, I wondered which of us was the bigger liar, how many times we’d had this exact conversation before. How many times we’d have it again.

I sank onto the bed beside her. She held out her hand, so I took it.

We sat and planned our next move, and Dad’s gun sat between us.


Neither of us mentioned it.




Author's Note: This week, my inspiration came from "Gandhari and Dhritarashtra," an early story from the Mahabharata. In this story, when the king and queen’s first son is born, there are all sorts of terrible, ominous omens. The royal couple’s advisors explain that their son is destined to bring something terrible upon their kingdom, and that it’ll be better for everyone to just get rid of him while they can—sacrifice the part to save the whole, and all that jazz. But the prince's parents are fond of him—he's their favorite son—and they decide to ignore the omens and the advisors and the best interests of their kingdom, just to spare him.

I found that kind of compelling: the idea of a main character being close to someone and knowing that person will hurt all kinds of people someday, but not being able to bring herself to prevent it. The idea of her choosing to let everyone else suffer before she’ll let this one person die. To explore those themes a little bit, I used Reagan and her sister, Sloane, who’s kind of a gentle soul but also a ticking time bomb. The idea was that they both know Sloane is escalating and only going to get worse, and that both know exactly how to solve their problem—but they aren’t quite strong enough yet. So for now, they just keep running.


Bibliography: Mahabharata Online: Public Domain Edition. Source: Laura Gibbs's Indian Epics blog.

Image Credit: Two Hands by milivanily. Source: Pixabay.


13 comments:

  1. Jenna.... this story was incredible!!! I loved every second of it! You have impeccable attention to detail and creating such a well understood and easily imagined story. I felt like I was watching a movie rather than reading a story because it was all so fluid and descriptive. I loved the parallel between your characters and the Mahabharata. Truly wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great story Jenna. The way you wrote it provided the reader the ability to truly feel what the characters were going through. I can’t imagine having to know you have to kill your sister. It seems as if this haunts her everyday of her life almost. I think that the way you took the original and made it your own was great. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna! This story is so dark yet it is intriguing. I am actually really surprise at the part where you describe those people that Sloane accidentally kill. I have read some dark stories, but your is the first that talk about the presence of blood in such a way (like bleeding out from their eyes and such. Woa!). I also love how you organize your paragraphs and dialogues. There was a very balance level of dialogues among the descriptive paragraphs and I can feel the character's emotions through these words! This is amazing, thank you writing such a good story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, Jenna, you're slaying, both your characters and your story. You did an excellent job weaving backstory throughout your piece. I liked the bits about their parents and the timeline you set up. However, I am curious how their dad died. Did Sloane kill him? The other big thing I'm curious about is how exactly Sloane is killing people. Is it just her presence? Does it happen just when Reagan is gone? Is it when Sloane gets distracted or scared? Could they avoid the deaths if Sloane just stayed in a room alone? Besides my logistics questions, I really liked your story. I am very curious whether or not Reagan will actually kill Sloane in the future. I'd love to know what you think on the matter. But I thought your magic twin concept was really really clever. Because Sloane got double the magic or power, did Reagan get like twice the good? Does she act as a dampening effect for Sloane? The whole idea intrigues me.
    Also, I really liked the Halloween decorations in the store. I thought that was very cute and clever. I know you only have nine words left so you can't add much of anything. But if you did side to cut down anywhere, I think you could slice a little bit of the beginning out.
    But I really loved your story, and I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Jenna! The drama throughout this entire story is crazy! I really loved it! You started out the story in a very mysterious way. At first, I thought that while she was getting her wallet from the car, there was a shooter who came into the grocery store. It took me a little while to realize that her sister wasn't the victim but the perpetrator. You kept the drama and mystery going until the very end of the story. It was great! It would be cool if you could go in to more detail about what exactly her powers were. I would also be interested to know what her mother's powers were. I like how you kept me kind of hanging at the end of the story. The ending was neither sad nor happy which made it very interesting. I can't help but wonder if Reagan ever brought herself to kill her sister. Overall, wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenna, I loved your other story from your portfolio so much that I decided to read this one too! I read the title and immediately thought of Edward Scissorhands for some reason. The detail you add to stories is just amazing. I can picture everything you write, like a movie in my head. Finishing the first scene, it made me want to know what happened and how one girl could have killed so many people and brought so much destruction to a store! That's so intense that she is supposed to kill her sister! That's so heartbreaking that she actually wanted her to kill her. I kind of wonder why she wouldn't take her own life. Maybe she can't for some reason? It might be interesting if you added something about maybe her trying to after a previous accident but something went wrong or her body won't let her (just an idea). Your stories keep me wanting more! I wish you'd write a sequel to this story too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenna, I really enjoyed this story and thought that you did a great job and wrote it very well. I really liked how the story went and was excited to read all of it. I thought that whole destructiveness of the girl was crazy and interesting seeing how one girl could cause so much damage. Your story was sad but really good. It was written really well. I am excited to read more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Immediately, I was wondering what the three minutes meant. I like the way you grabbed my attention. I’m the type of reader that wants to be confused from the very beginning. If I can easily figure out the direction of a story, I am likely going to get bored fast. Good job on grabbing our attention.
    I enjoyed the visual of the lights looking down on me like empty eye sockets. I thought it was interesting that your character gets a headache when faced with danger unknown. I would have felt fear or some derivative thereof.
    Cool addition with dad already knowing what to do. That informed me of the character of dad and daughter. I liked the play on words too, “I knew what to do too…. I’d been destined to kill my twin sister since we were thirteen…..”
    I like the mis-direction with the scene where you are standing over your sister watching her with the sound of re-runs humming in the background. Great visual! I felt like I was there. As she raised the gun, I was a bit surprised. Then shocked and relieved at the same time as Sloane said, “I wish you would, Reagan.” That was a well thought out scene.
    After reading the notes, I realize that it was not misdirection but the thought of wanting to stop something terrible, but lacking the ability to do it. Knowing that makes me like the story even more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenna, this story was awesome to read! I read your first story in your portfolio as well but there is something about this one that is just great. I love the mysterious feel that it has. You add so much detail to really explain the setting and hook the reader in with such a great use of imagery. This story definitely has a dark aspect to it but these stories are often the most enjoyable. There seems to be a lot of emotions and you can really feel the flow between the dialogue. One thing that I would maybe suggest though would be adding more images to the story. You did a great job of creating imagery in the audience’s head but I believe that using one or two more pictures would put emphasis on what you are already doing with the writing. The background of your blog also helps add to the feel of the story! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This story was great! It read like a YA Dystopian novel! If you have any interest in writing a novel, I highly suggest using this idea! I really liked that you kept it so vague in the beginning and then worked in more of the details as the story went on. It kept it really interesting and made me want to continue reading! Overall, I liked the amount of dialogue you used. You used just enough to help the story flow, but not overwhelm the story. I haven't read your other stories, so sorry if I say something that you've already done, but I think it could be fun to see it from Sloane's point of view! It would be cool to see how she is dealing with all of the power! Overall, really great story and I can't wait to come back and read more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenna, this story was pretty intense! I enjoyed the photo you used at the beginning, it really had me preparing myself for whatever bad stuff was to come. Kind of like that eerie music in the beginning of a scary movie! I was really shocked when I found out Reagan's sister, Sloane, was to blame for all the killings and store damage. I did find myself wondering exactly what powers did Sloane have? Maybe when you talk about her mom being powerful you could explain their powers? You also said her mother's powers had her killed, was it by someone close to her like Reagan with Sloane? I also wondered if Sloane killed her father? If so, wouldn't that help Reagan be able to kill Sloane? Overall, I loved your story and the connection you made between it and the story of Dhritarashtra from the Mahabharata. I felt like it was good enough to be a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A master of words. You did very well for this story. I am a huge horror fan, so the moment it took that turn towards one I immediately became enthralled. you first person perspective is unique and something i still struggle with myself. You paint great pictures of the scenes going on and allow a lot for the readers interpretation. I wish there was a bit more detail in some aspects but like I said, interpretation of the reader feels like the bigger point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jenna! This story was so suspenseful and intense, I loved it! Your writing is beautiful. I just love all the detail and description you put into it. Your word choice at the beginning scene was incredible, it really painted a picture for the readers. I think the photo you chose was perfect! It made me think and wonder about what was going to happen in the story. You also used the perfect amount of dialogue, enough for the reader to connect with the characters, but not so much that it is overwhelming so good job on that. I liked how you wrote in first person too, I can never do that correctly. Haha. Great job on this story Jenna, I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete