Thursday, January 19, 2017

Week 1 Story: Burnt Offering



“You know, Liv,” Eastman says, kicking lightly at one of the reinforced cardboard boxes we’ve lugged to the woods behind the house. “When Mum said to finish unpacking, I’m pretty sure this isn’t what she meant.”

I kneel beside him, slitting open a taped box with the pocket knife Uncle Lewis gave me. The knife itself is another thing Mum would lose it over if we gave her the chance, but it seems pretty insignificant compared to what we’re about to do.

Besides, these days she could witness us commit ultra-bloody murder and still not notice us.

“What’s Dad’s favorite saying, again?” I ask, rooting through the box, pushing aside a stack of family photo albums. “‘What Mum doesn’t know can’t hurt us’?”

He scowls and slicks back his blond hair, apparently not amused. Which makes sense, I guess. After all, he knew about Dad’s affair way before I did, maybe even before Mum did. It’s probably been festering inside him all this time.

But that’s what today’s about.

Eastman gathers up half-rotten logs and fallen branches, arranging them in the middle of the clearing. We’re not that far into the woods—the holiday home Mum won in the settlement is just visible from here, all dark rock and glossy windows. But we didn't want to drag the boxes too deep into the trees, and something about having our new prison in view of this whole thing is more satisfying.

Eastman jogs over to our supplies and grabs a gas can, douses the logs with it. He spills a little on one sleeve, and the smell’s already strong enough that I know it’ll give me a splitting headache before too long, but I don’t complain.

Once he’s got the fire built up enough, we bring the boxes over and start unloading them. Family photos. Stuffed animals I got on family vacations. The baseball Dad caught for Eastman when we all went to a Yankees game ten years ago. A painting our parents got for their last anniversary. All of it goes into the fire.

It should feel cathartic, watching it burn. Eastman got the idea from some book he read about wicker men—big effigies built to use in sacrifice rituals. We’d build our own effigy, made of memories instead of wicker, and then we’d stand back and watch as it burned. We’d sacrifice the cause of our troubles to right all of them.

Fire is supposed to be cleansing, after all.

Eastman pulls out a lighter and a couple of cigarettes from his jacket pocket, passes one over to me. I wrinkle my nose—smoking still makes me cough, and the smell’s terrible, even worse than the gas fumes from his sleeve. But I take one of them from him, and we stand there together, smoking twin cigarettes to burn all the badness out of ourselves, too.

“Olivia,” he says after a minute, frowning. The exhalation of my name comes wreathed in smoke, wreathed in sins. I frown, too. “I have to tell you something.”

I consider that for a minute, holding my cigarette with one hand, feeding sentimentality to the flames with the other. Neither of us has ever been particularly sentimental. Mum says we have good heads on our shoulders. Dad says we’re just missing a chip.

“What is it?” I finally ask.

East shifts slightly, turning to face me but not meeting my eyes. He takes up a little toy guitar and reaches out to drop it in the fire—but at that exact moment, a stiff wind stirs up out of nowhere, and the flames shift too.

At first, I can only stand and watch as they snake out and bite into my brother’s gas-soaked sleeve.

The smell of burning skin is worse than the gasoline or the cigarettes.

Then something inside me snaps out of the daze, clicks into place, and I’m shoving him away from the fire, onto the ground. He’s screaming, and it’s terrible, but something in him must whir into gear too, that stop drop roll training from elementary school.

I throw my cigarette to the ground, then dig out my phone and call 911.

*** 

It’s a while before I get to talk to Eastman again.

Even once the hospital releases him, Mum and Dad keep him locked away in his room, insist he needs his rest. But as soon as I can, I slip in to visit. He’s awake.

Before I can open my mouth to apologize, he says, “It’s my fault.”

“We were standing too close to the fire,” I say. “You don’t control the wind.”

He shakes his head. “The divorce. I told Mum he was cheating on her.”

“That’s...” I start to tell him it’s stupid—that if anyone’s to blame, it’s apparently Dad, or whatever sleaze-haired mistress he picked up. That the only thing he did wrong was not telling me.

But then I look down at his face, pale and guilty and creased with pain, and his arm, hidden away under bandages and blankets like a bad secret. It’s true that Mum never would’ve left Dad if she hadn’t found out. Eastman had been trying to do the right thing for once, but sometimes the right thing is a bad thing.

I sink down onto the chair beside him. My twin brother. My partner in crime.

My wicker man.

Outside the window, Mum and Dad are actually talking. Not screaming or accusing or throwing things. Like their problems have been burned away.

Maybe Eastman’s right. It’s not fair, but maybe he’s right, and there never would’ve been problems if Mum had never found out. It’s hard to tell.

I reach into the pocket of the cardigan tied around my waist, fish out a lighter and our last cigarette. It’s a little bent, and when I straighten it and light it for him, he accepts it wordlessly.


We sit in silence as he breathes out his sins, and look out the window at the conversation his sacrifice bought us.





Author's Note: This week, I decided to use Tom Gauld’s “Map of the Area Surrounding our Holiday Home” as inspiration. It’s a drawing of a holiday cottage surrounded by all sorts of pleasantries, like an ax murderer, a slaughterhouse, and a Japanese soldier unaware the war has ended.

Options like that made it a little tough to choose which element to incorporate into my story, but when I looked up what the wicker man was supposed to be, that one caught my interest the most. As it turns out, wicker men were once believed to have been used by Druids as part of human-sacrifice rituals; apparently, Julius Caesar wrote that some Celtic peoples built effigies out of sticks and filled them with living people, then burned the structures as sacrifices to gods. I took that concept of fire and sacrifice and played with it a little bit here, set against a backdrop of family dysfunction and—apparently—teenage pyros. The biblical idea of fire as cleansing has always been interesting to me, and I wanted to explore that with a slight element of self-sacrifice too, which is partly where the cigarettes came in. As for Gauld’s holiday home itself, I used it as the vacation home the twins’ mother won in the divorce settlement.

Bibliography: Map of the Area Surrounding our Holiday Home by Tom Gauld.

Image Credit: Lighter by Matlachu. Source: Pixabay.


7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your story. It definitely felt like I was immersing myself into a novel. Wicker men being used as human sacrifice is kind of disturbing but interesting. I also did like who you started it with a conversation. I think that made it a lot more fun to read. I like that you made this story your own from the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great story. I enjoyed reading it! Your writing is very detailed and meticulous. When everything started burning I thought to myself "wow something really horrible could happen" and then his arm caught on fire!! I find it interesting that even after he caught on fire, and went to the hospital and had all of that rest, Eastman continued to smoke cigarettes. It's like the damage done to him didn't effect him the way it should have.
    I like the twists and turns you added to this story! Like previously mentioned, I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story was amazing. I liked how the beginning was detailed without being too specific, but it contributed to the intensity of the situation. You're left thinking "why are they burning the box of things" and "why did they move". But, then the story transitions to Eastman saying that he had something to say and you're so caught up in the thoughts of Olivia that you barely notice that Eastman catches on fire until Olivia reacts in the story. The second part of the story neatly ties it all back together to the beginning of the story. The dialogue helps the reader get a better understanding of the beginning of the story and this part helps to answer some of those questions from the start. But, again, without so much specificity that the reader gets distracted. I really enjoy the way you write your stories and I look forward to reading more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow is the first word that came to mind after reading your story! The attention to every little detail was absolutely amazing. I loved your use of dialogue between the characters because it really helped me visualize the scene and helped me to see the story playing out in my head! Your story had shock factor, when everything caught on fire I was definitely wondering what was going to happen next! I can't wait to read more from you this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenna, I’ve loved everything you’ve written that I’ve had the chance to read, so I decided to go back in time and read your first story of this class! I loved it, of course. I’m a big fan of your writing style! It’s no wonder that you’re a professional writing major. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenna, I love your use of dialogue. It really brought the characters to life! Your story has some really deep life issues in it. My parents divorced a long time ago (there weren't any affairs though) so I can somewhat relate to this story. I love all of the detail and how real it felt. You definitely met my expectations and I'll probably be back to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Like I mentioned before, I plan on reading a lot of what you post. I was half expecting a twist in the middle of the story before the brothers cloths caught alight, where they were covering up the murder of their dads cheating, or something like that. But the outcome of the story was great, despite my want for a dark twist in the middle. Again, I really enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete