Thursday, January 26, 2017

Week 2 Story: What Comes Around


I was sitting in Trig class, one ragged dress shoe kicked up on the chair in front of me, when Brendan Russ leaned over my desk.

“Tyler, man,” he said, glancing warily across at Mrs. Ramirez. “I need to talk to you.”

I lifted an eyebrow. Russ and I weren’t exactly friends. We got along just fine, and we were next to each other on Ramirez’s assigned seating chart, which also made us occasional math partners. But that was about the extent of it.

It really wasn’t in Russ’s best interests—short, curly-haired Russ, with his polished dress shoes and just-so school uniform—to talk to me.

“Shoot,” I said, unwrapping a piece of gum, only halfway disinterested.

He said, “It’s about my life before,” and I felt my disinterest plummet another few notches. Together, we turned and looked back at his shadow.

Brendan Russ’s shadow was a thing of nightmares—much bigger than he was, hulking and hunched over itself, gnarled and snarling. It had spines and wicked edges and too many arms that never seemed to stop moving. The kind of thing that bewildered you at first—what could a simple creature like Russ have ever done to earn a Shade like that—but that everybody eventually got used to.

It didn’t really matter what he’d done in his past life. Something pretty nasty, sure, and a whole lot of it, if the embodiment of all his sins looked like that.

But in this life, Russ would probably have trouble maiming a fly. So nobody worried too much about it.

“I think I’ve got a lead on what exactly I did,” he said eventually. “Who I was before.”

I snorted. “I think you’ve got a pretty good idea who you were before even without any digging, man.”

“I know.”

He was quiet for a minute, and at first, I didn’t think he was going to answer. I turned back to my trig assignment. Not that it was any more entertaining, but the cost of tuition at Ashford Prep was obscenely high, and I wasn’t letting it go to waste.

Then he said again, stronger this time, “I know. That’s why I have to find out for sure. I need you to track this person down for me. Ask your drug dealer people or whoever.”

I laughed, maybe a little harshly, snapping my gum. “My drug dealer people. Christ, Russ.”

“I’m serious. This is important.”

The bell rang. I looked across the room at Laurel Wesson, who was standing and straightening the lapels of her Ashford blazer. She scowled when she saw me.

“So will you do it?” Russ asked. “Everybody says you’re the guy to go to. I have money.”

I glanced at him. Normally, I’d found it was best to stay out of situations like this. But he looked obstinate in that desperate, teeth-set way people got, and the money was always nice, and I was kind of curious about his Shade despite myself.

“I’ll think about it,” I said absently.

Then I stood and followed Laurel Wesson out of the classroom.

***

Fourth period, I had World History with Mr. Dennis, but I headed across the Quad to Laurel’s study hall instead, keeping pace with her. Eventually—probably when she realized I wasn’t going away—she whirled around, face pale.

“What do you want?” she snapped.

I smiled pleasantly, reaching into my backpack. “I think the real question here is what you want.”

She actually flinched when she saw the manila envelope. At first, I didn’t think she’d touch it, but then she lunged forward at the last second, snatching it out of my hands. Like if she was holding it now, she was suddenly holding all the power, too.

“That’s your copy,” I said. “You can go ahead and keep it.”

I watched her shaky hands as she lifted one of the photos out, but I didn’t look at the picture itself. I didn’t need to see it again.

“The question,” I said again, “is if you still want to be valedictorian.”

She stared across at me, dead-eyed. A blotchy flush was rising up her neck.

“And how much you’re willing to pay to make sure that happens,” I added.

She snorted. “You’re scum, Tyler Strauss. Literal scum of the earth. I didn’t think lowlifes like you actually existed. You’re—”

“Ten minutes late for class,” I interrupted, checking my invisible watch. “Which means I’m fifteen minutes late to the headmaster’s office.”

When she didn’t say anything, just slid the photos back into the envelope and folded the little metal arms firmly closed, I grinned.

“A thousand dollars,” I said. It was a lot of money, but rich kids like her always managed to pay up when it mattered. And Ashford Prep was expensive. “Cash only. All of it by the end of the week, or the headmaster gets a copy of all this too, and the end of the year looks a lot different for you.”

She looked like she was about to cry, and I really didn’t have time for that, so I turned and walked back towards World History.

Beside me, my shadow was mild and amicable, hands in his pockets.

***

Russ tried to corner me at my picnic table after school. When I saw him coming, I nodded at the small ring of guys I’d been talking to, and they scattered. Russ hesitated, fidgeting at the other end of the table.

“Well?” he said. “Think you can get that info for me?”

I looked at his Shade again, all looming menace, and at mine, thin and relaxed and easygoing. I even halfway thought about telling him it was better for him if he didn’t know all the things his past self had done in that other life, that that Russ probably wouldn’t have wanted future versions of himself to know anyways. I knew I wouldn’t.

But he looked determined. And Ashford was expensive.

“What do you want to know?” I asked.






Author's Note: While the Ramayana’s main plot is interesting itself, when I read it with the weekly retelling in mind, I find myself focusing more on small, random details than on the bigger picture. This week, for instance, I was struck by a throwaway line of Sita’s, just after she’s first glimpsed Rama.

Though the pair haven’t even spoken in this life, they knew each other in a previous one, and that connection sparks something that feels like love at first sight. Love, as it turns out, is kind of miserable, and pretty soon Sita is irritated by every happy thing around her, since she can’t be happy herself without Rama. When a bird starts singing outside her window, she cries at it, “The sins I committed in a previous birth have assumed your form and come to torture me now!”

I was really struck by this idea of a physical embodiment of somebody’s sins from a former life, so that’s what I explored with my retelling. More than that, I was curious what kind of impact that would have on people, literally being followed around by all the mistakes they’ve ever made. Through Russ and Tyler, I was able to look at both extremes: someone who desperately wants to know what he’s done wrong, and someone who desperately wants not to, because he already knows what he's doing now.


Image Credit: "Money" by 401kcalculator.org. Source: Flickr.


13 comments:

  1. The twist that you added from what Sita said is great! You were really able to make it your own. Your story was enjoyable to read! I liked the ending of it! I almost wished that there was more to read. The title of your story (“what comes around”) makes me think that there might be a “goes around”. If so, it sounds like it’ll be great. The detail you put into your blog post is really fantastic. It is like a chapter out of a book rather than a blog post for an assignment for school. Keep doing what you’re doing Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love how you took one line that Sita said and created a completely different story out of it. I like how you described the characters just well enough to understand the basic gist of the story without getting it to be too complex. This goes without saying, but I will say it again, I am really excited to see the rest of your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, I may just hound you for the rest of your life if you don't finish this or at least tell me what you imagined the big secret being. I am seriously so curious. You did an amazing job, and it is super well written (like always). I could easily see you expanding this idea into a full length novel or even just a longer short story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenna! This is story is seriously amazing! I don’t know how you took one line from the original story and made it into a whole different story! That is super impressive. I really like the way this story is structured. One of the easiest stories to read that I have read so far and I like that! It is a very unique story and I was super surprised at the ending and expected more! I feel like you could definitely expand more on this if you wanted to! I like the details you gave about the characters. You gave just enough information to give us a good idea of who they are in the story. You are a very good writer and I like to read your posts! All your stories look very creative and very well written. These can be tough but you make it look so easy by the way your write your stories! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a great story! It is such an original concept and I love the idea of our own shadows being a window into our past lives! One thing that really wowed me about your story is how you use dialogue. You did a great job of having the characters interact with each other. One thing that might be interesting (and you might be going in this direction) was if there was a way for people to redeem themselves and their shadows! It would be a cool twist to the phrase "the past doesn't define you." Overall, great story! If you ever have a desire to write a book, you should use this as your topic! I can't wait to read more of your portfolio as the weeks go on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenna,

    Your portfolio starts off with a great story. I enjoyed reading it and was super interested to see where it was going. So good job on keeping my attention with your writing. I thought that the whole idea of digging into the past life was very interesting and I am excited to see which way you choose to go with it. I think that it would be great to see how the main character gets into a world of hurt from trying to dig into Russ’s past life. This would grab my attention even more as we go. Adding more suspense would be great to just build my attention as well. Did you ever think that Russ could have been the strange one asking about his past life, and no one else knowing what he was talking about, but the main character taking his “case” in order just to get paid but finds out something that puts him in trouble? Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenna! I really enjoyed this story! Very impressive that you were able to make such a good story out of one line of context. I thoroughly enjoyed the way this story was laid out. Because of this layout, it made this a very easy read with nice flow. The ending of the story surprised me a lot, was not expecting that at all. The room for more content is definitely there. The description of the characters was done very well and created a small connection. The description was just enough to give us some insight on how each of them behaves. Your storytelling and writing are very good and would definitely read a piece of yours again. The narrative you used throughout the stories was also very good. Besides the description, this gives the reader another perspective on how each character behaves. I am excited to come back and read more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Riveting is the first word that comes to mind to describe this story. You did a wonderful job crafting a creative and engaging tale. I actually really love the premise that you built on. This feels like a set of stories that could actually be turned into a book. I hope you intend to write this as a collection of similar stories, because I would absolutely love to keep reading this. Perhaps my favorite part is that you built such a strong foundation for understanding the character whose perspective you wrote the story from. It’s written such that you get excellent snapshots that help you to better understand just who Tyler Strauss is and how he interacts with the world around him. If I had to pick out one thing you could do to improve this story, I think I would suggest you really go over it one more time with a fine-tooth comb for minor grammatical errors. There aren’t many, but there are a couple of sentences that could be tidied up. It might help to have someone else read over the piece 2 or 3 times to see if they notice anything. The things I noticed were mainly small things that would be fine the way they are but would benefit from fine-tuning such as the sentence “Not that it was any more entertaining, but the cost of tuition at Ashford Prep was obscenely high, and I wasn’t letting it go to waste.” It is technically a run on. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed this and hope to get to read more of your work soon. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenna, You are so far ahead of my me in the world of writing. I feel silly trying to correct anything in your story. I will say that I love the visuals you allow the reader. Describing the way your shadow looks on the ground. How the foot was up on the chair. I really enjoyed it. I think I will try to use some of these tactics on my future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenna, I am glad you spaced out the lines/paragraphs; it makes it so much easier to read. What great detail! I like that you used the shoes as a focal point. A pair of shoes can tell you a lot about someone. What an interesting concept! Where did you get the idea of using someone's shadow to represent their former life/sins? That could be an idea for a movie or a book! Your use of dialogue to really show the personality of the characters is great! I liked the idea of separating the story into scenes (I might have to do that on a story). One very small typo is you wrote "that that" in the 3rd to last paragraph. What a great story! I think it might be one of the best ones I've read all semester. I hope you write a sequel! I want to know what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenna,

    I enjoyed the retelling of your story and the reasons why you wrote it that were explained in the author's note. I like how you used this story as a way of telling some type of lesson or moral within the story. Also I like the way you formatted your story so for those of use reading your stories we can see when there is a new paragraph or moment starting within the story. Another thing I really liked is how you made your story into a more modern setting that helps readers relate more to your characters. Your characters are friends and they both have this moral dilemma inside of them that can happen to anyone at any given moment. The story felt real and true and I admire that you were able to be so creative to come up with such a compelling story. I think you are a great writer and I cannot wait to read more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenna, I thought the way you told this story was captivating! Your creativity really shined through this piece, you kept me interested the entire time! And your author's note did a great job of tying everything together and making everything clear. I thought it was so cool how you made the characters' shadows represent the sins of their former life. You made it easy for the reader to catch on to what their shadows represented too. I was confused for like two seconds, then I was like "Ohhhhhh, wow cool!" And way to leave us with a cliffhanger! I am excited to come back and read your next story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenna, there were a few places I thought you were going with this story. A horror where the shade either comes to realization of what it is, or that Russ would turn murderous. It wasn't until the authors notes that I fully understood what you were doing with the story (which in my opinion is a good thing) "...physical embodiment of somebody’s sins from a former life." When you said this I finally realized all of the implications your story was portraying, and the referencing to shade and how deep that actually meant for the story. If this was a longer story I would have loved to see what you did with the shade concept. Good job.

    ReplyDelete