Monday, April 3, 2017

Learning Challenge: Sleep Deprivation is Not a Badge of Honor


The funny thing is, I set out to find a Learning Challenge prompt this week, but it almost feels like I found a Growth Mindset one instead.

In general, I'm a pretty big supporter of sleep. If I don't get a certain number of hours, my health usually takes a nosedive, and also, sleep is just too nice to miss out on in general. The chance to reset and wake up feeling sharper and more equipped to handle everything is kind of great.

But over the past couple years, I've heard a lot of people around me talk about how they've sacrificed a ton of sleep each night and ended up accomplishing all sorts of other things because of it, and I started to feel like maybe I should start sucking it up and trying that too. After all, this semester's been insanely busy for me, and I wouldn't have as much trouble juggling everything if there were more hours in the day.

That's why I'm glad I stumbled across "Sleep Deprivation is Not a Badge of Honor," by DDH. In his opening lines, the author equates sacrificing sleep to borrowing from a loan shark: a short-term fix that only creates more problems for you in the long run, when the debt stacks up and you make it harder and harder for yourself to repay. Sure, it means I might not always be able to find extra hours for non-homework reading and writing, but it also hopefully keeps me from making long-lasting mistakes, which is always appreciated. I'll be sure to keep this one in mind moving forward.


Image Credit: Alarm Clock, by Niki_filipova. Source: Pixabay.


1 comment:

  1. As you will see from the time stamp above my post, I am so guilty of this. I am in the College of Architecture and there is a seriously weird anti-sleep culture over here. Living off campus makes me a bit more susceptible to getting nervous about getting my work done. I am glad you brought this up. I will read the article you posted because deep down, I know there is a price that will be paid eventually for all the lack of sleep I get. I used to think it was a sign of strength, but now it just seems kind of foolish.Cool Post.

    ReplyDelete